Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Test shots with Nikon 80-400 afs

phlash46

Peekskill, US
2210 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
phlash46 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2008
Sun 07-Apr-13 09:26 PM | edited Tue 09-Apr-13 08:12 PM by phlash46

Took it and a D700 to a local park this afternoon. Windy, chilly and overcast; light was so-so. Handheld (with very cold hands...I'm almost 67 and not the steadiest hand holder) at distances from 40 to well over 200 feet with VR on.
I'm astonished! You can make out the seams in the baseballs, the make on Dad's shoes and the words the little batter's pink hat, etc. In addition, the bokeh, while not 85 f/1.4 quality, is pretty darn good. Focus lock was darn near as fast as the 70-200 f/2.8, which is very fast indeed.
Will take it out tomorrow for some birds with a tripod and Sidekick. Definitely a level up from its' predecessor. Took it out and put it on a Sidekick mounted on an M20 and Gitzo 3 Series. Pictures aren't anything special but the detail is quite good and the pictures are sharp. The distances were 50-200 feet and the Turkey Vultures were moving pretty fast.

See my album Nikon 80-400mm afs vr.

New York Nikoner
My Nikonians Gallery

"Insanity is repeating the same process expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

NAS can go into remission, but, it is incurable.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G