Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

80-200 AFS autofocus issue-

alaskan_exposure

Juneau, US
14 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
alaskan_exposure Registered since 16th Oct 2008
Sat 30-Mar-13 11:49 PM

Fellow Nikonians,

I have a strange issue with my trusted old friend (80-200 AF-S) that has only cropped up recently. I've been shooting sports over the last five years with DX gear (D90 and D7000) and just bit the bullet and bought the D4 (finally no more noise filtering!). My 80-200 AF-S has been rock solid in dimly lit gyms auto-focus wise... never miss too many shots. Here's the issue, when I pop my 80-200 on my D4 it really "Spasms" out at near critical focus. It gets close to focus and just sits there and jumps back and forth at a very minimal range and sometimes never settles on focus. Sometimes it finally chills out and achieves focus. This happens in AF-S and AF-C. I use single focus points usually depending on sport. Anyway, I put the lens back on my crop sensor cameras and I now notice this behavior a little (perhaps I'm gunning for it now) but not NEARLY as bad as on the D4 in the same shooting modes. As you can imagine this is killing me... excruciatingly frustrating. My D4 and 80-200 AF-S was supposed to be my Ace Card. Has anyone heard of this behavior on the 80-200 AF-S? The lens is otherwise perfect and the optics are mind blowing when it nails it. I guess I need to make sure there isn't something wrong with the lens and sell it to a DX user and get a 70-200 VRII. Bummer because it's such a nice piece of glass and I've relied on it for so long.

Thanks for any thoughts!

AK~

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 80-200 AFS autofocus issue-

G