Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Opinions - Nikon 24-120 vs 28-300

UNIphoto2

US
14 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
UNIphoto2 Registered since 18th Feb 2013
Fri 29-Mar-13 05:16 PM

Hey Nikonians,

I'm looking for the opinions of those who have used or own both the Nikon 24-120 f/4 and the 28-300 f/3.5-5.6.

I recently purchased the 24-120 f/4 and I do like the lens as a walk around lens. It is pretty sharp, I can get excellent photos with PP and it performs fairly well. I'm just a bit conflicted wondering if I should have went with the 28-300 for the added reach (I have wanted the added reach on several occasions while out).

My dilemma is I read conflicting views between both lenses. Some reviews says their about the same performance as related to sharpness, color, bokeh and contrast. Then I read reviews that the 24-120 is much better than the 28-300, then I read the 24-120 is not that great of a lens (but I think it is fairly good).

The lens will be used as a walk around vacation lens (zoos, cityscapes, amusement parks, international travel), sometimes I will use it for events where I can use flash and for family gatherings during the summer which will be in house and outside.

With the $300 rebate it brings the 24-120 to the price point that many people believed the lens should have been priced at originally. With the rebate on the 28-300 I can save another $100 over the 24-120.

For my studio, event and wedding work I only use primes so I have the Sigma 35 1.4, Nikon 50 1.4D, Nikon 85 1.8G and occasionally I use the 80-200 2.8 AF-D (Push-Pull). BTW, I shoot with D3S and D800.

So with more of you having experience with both of these lenses can you make a recommendation for me if I should keep the 24-120 or go with the 28-300 and enjoy the additional reach and not give up much more.

Much appreciation in advance for your help.

Thanks,
Curt

G