Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Abnormal performance for 24-70?

jhearl

Milford, VA, US
465 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jhearl Registered since 16th Apr 2007
Wed 27-Mar-13 02:46 PM

I just got my 24-70 back from the repair shop last nite, so I am testing it to see if it works as well as I think it should. While it seems fine in the 35-70 range, I feel like it's not performing well (focus-wise) in the 24mm range. The focus is fine in the center but quite bad on the left and right sides. I shot the picture below at f11 to be sure DOF wasn't factoring into this (but other shots indicate that it's bad at all f-stops). I'd appreciate the opinion of others who own this lens. I don't remember it being this bad before I dropped it and had to send it in for repair. I'm trying to decide whether or not to return it to the shop to have them look at it again.

The sides facing the camera of the buildings on the right and left are in the same plane as the building in the center. This shot was taken from at least 100 feet away - possibly a bit farther. So, again, I don't feel that DOF is a factor here at f11.

The following is a reduced size version of the full frame. This was shot raw on a D800E at ISO 200, f11, 1/400th. Sharpening applied in PP.

Click on image to view larger version

This is a 100% crop of the center portion:

This is a 100% crop from the right side:

This is a 100% crop from the left side.

Thanks in advance for the help -
John

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dancingtuna

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Abnormal performance for 24-70?

G