Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
BJL

Columbia Heights, US
73 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
BJL Basic Member
Tue 10-Jul-01 10:48 PM

I have been using various ED80-200 Nikkors for the last few years. Having previously owned and sold the AFS lens (another story), I am familiar with its design and use. This lens is an IF lens and the front element does not move at all. The net result is that the air gap between a filter and the primary element is constant. In contrast to the AFS lens, the 2-touch AFD (my current lens) is not an IF lens. Specifically, the primary element moves within a fixed tube that does not rotate. While this is convenient for polarizers, I have noticed that the front lens element is very far away from the filter if the lens is focused at infinity. The net result is a large air gap. Now, I am not a physicist, but I've got to believe that this air gap between filter and lens negatively influences the sharpness of the final image. Therefore, I never use a protection filter on this lens for fear of negatively impacting the final image.

What do you think? Is the AFD lens not well suited to filter use?
Regards,
Bruce
http://www.owlseyenaturephotos.com

regards,
bruce

G