Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Comparison Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 to Nikon 70-200 f/4 VR

Nikon32250

St. Augustine, US
4033 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004
Sat 16-Mar-13 01:57 AM | edited Sat 16-Mar-13 01:57 AM by Nikon32250

I currently own a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFS lens. Sometimes I find it is somewhat heavy to carry around for long periods of time. I rented a Nikon 70-200 f/4 VR from LensRentals. I am by no means an expert on evaluating lenses, and so my comments will make no reference to CA, barrel/pincushion distortion etc. I have some sample photos and you should feel free to reach your own conclusions. All images were shot with a D7000 in jpeg ISO 400, and are SOOC.

I must say that I was very pleased with the f/4 lens and certainly found it easier to carry around. I did notice a marked difference in the histograms. The 80-200 histogram showed a definite shift to the left when compared to the 70-200 f/4. Also, for some reason, the 80-200 resulted in a slower shutter speed (1/4000 versus 1/5000).

I have also shown the two lenses side by side, and a second image of the 80-200, 70-200 and 70-300 VR

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)
Attachment#6 (jpg file)
Attachment#7 (jpg file)
Attachment#8 (jpg file)

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G