Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

24-120 f4 suitable for the 800e? Please advise/Thx

FutureFocus

Leominster, US
64 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
FutureFocus Registered since 18th Feb 2013
Thu 14-Mar-13 02:18 PM

Overview: First thread in this forum. I'm graduating from my D-90 which has been in service for 3 + years into the new world of FX.

Late afternoon, I received my new 24-120 mm Nikon f4 Lens from B&H which had been on backorder from last month. Please provide input so I can feel comfortable with this purchase. For my usage, Nikon offers few range combinations where the focal length/range isn't either too long, too short or both. This selection seems to fit the bill.

I'm very interested to learn what the experiences of actual users has been with the D-800 and especially the D-800E. I will probably get the E in 2 months or less. Reasons for purchasing this in advance of the body are:

1) VR
2) Decent all purpose range. General walk around lens.
3) Take advantage of $300 off. Didn't know it would be extended to include March.
4) Lighter, longer and less expensive then the 24-70.
5) Constant f4 as opposed to what I have now in DX lens. Yes, it's not 2.8 or below however my budget is limited.

I bought this on reputation, faith and from what I could glean from online as none of my local stores carry this item.

Here are my concerns:

a) Will the quality of the sensor really magnify any of this lens shortcomings?

b) From reviews and reports online, there seems to be issues with distortion and to a lesser extent CA. How relatively easy are these to "fix" with Lightroom? What is your view?

c) What/Where are the so called "sweet spots" expressed in f-stop and focal length?

d) At the other end of the scale, at what combination(s) do significant & noticeable performance issues surface that require attention/correction in post?

e) What degree of quality and sharpness would you assign to this lens: OK, good, very good or excellent?

f) How will this lens perform on the D-90 until I acquire the E? Will it be much better or somewhat better than the DX 18-105 and DX 16-85 VR comparatively?

g) Where could I obtain a Lightroom profile for this lens?

h) How does the 24-120 compare & go head to head with the std kit lens (which is half the cost)? Is one getting there monies worth at a grand? (discounted/on sale)

i) DXO gives this a middle of the road/average rating. "Official" online reviews seem to be qualified by listing concerns or reservations. To what extent are they reliable?

What do I need to know? Are 3rd part lenses worth seriously considering?

All views, comments, opinions and feedback welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 24-120 f4 suitable for the 800e? Please advise/Thx

G