Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Thoughts on lenses to keep or go..

s2sailorlis_nikon

US
728 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012
Wed 06-Mar-13 02:05 AM

Today I received a nice, used 300mm f/4 af-s...(and waiting for my TC-14e to arrive Thursday...) being a happy man i mention this to my wife who summarily states "you have a closet full of stuff...is this getting out of hand..

Giving this some further thought...i find myself with:
Nikkor 18-55 3.5-5.6
Nikkor 28 2.8 AI
Nikkor 28-200 3.5-5.6 D
Nikkor 28-70 3.5-5.6 (2nd gen)
Nikkor 55 3.5 Micro with ext tube
Nikkor 70-300 3.5-5.6 VR
Nikkor 300mm 4.5 AI
Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF-S
Sigma 28-70 2.8
Tokina 2x MC
Nikkor TC-14e

Some of this glass was sourced from some estate sale/eBay re-selling I did over the past few years...in 2011 I hit some mother lode equipment and made enough to pay for 60% of what I have today. Some items I kept because I was already ahead of the game...

I find myself doing mostly landscape, birding and flora, and want to try some industrial subjects.

I have a D200, D50 and F3 HP (i may sell the latter..)

So now I am thinking what to keep. My thought is to sell the 28, 28-200, and the 300 AI. The D50 is my "beater" camera for daily abuse. The Sigma produces nice jpeg pictures out of the D50, so I am thinking of keeping that.

The 28-70 woyld be my "ready to go" on the D200. And the rest for special use. I really need to get a decent wide as I use the cheap kit lens (18-55) but it takes nice shots...or at least it did when I went to Death Valley last Fall..But maybe I should sell that too and use all those proceeds for a decent wide (can be manual focus..)

Appreciate any PoV....and of course I didn't tell the wife about the new Markins ball head....jeesh...

excuse typos..

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Thoughts on lenses to keep or go..

G