Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikkor 16-85VR prone to flare?

DaveSoderlund

Geneva, US
621 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DaveSoderlund Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 29th May 2010
Mon 04-Mar-13 08:03 PM

Most of the time, I really like this lens -- it lives on my camera 90+% of the time. However, I have had persistent problems controlling lens flare when trying to shoot sunset/sunrise pictures. It doesn't seem to matter whether there is a filter (protective, solid ND, grad ND) on the lens or not -- if I'm shooting into the sun, I am going to get flare spots.

Is the 16-85VR more prone to flare than other lenses? (According to Thom Hogan's review, flare is "decently controlled.") Am I just too inept to avoid this problem? Do I expect too much when shooting into the sun?

(As an aside, I have some sunset pictures taken using the 18-105VR lens -- before I acquired the 16-85 -- and flare seems to be less of a problem shooting into the sun with the 18-105VR. However, this is not a rigorous or thorough comparison, just an observation.)

If this is a particular problem with the 16-85VR I need another lens. If it's me, I need some advice to help me correct, or at least minimize, this problem going forward.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikkor 16-85VR prone to flare?

G