Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Should I get the Nikkor 85mm 1.4 G?

JimH

Easton, US
289 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JimH Silver Member Charter Member
Wed 27-Feb-13 10:16 PM

Hello

I'm considering picking up the 85mm 1.4G while the deal from Nikon is still in effect. I currently own the 14-24mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 80-400mm VR 4.5/5.6, and the 50mm 1.2 AI-S. Mainly I shoot with the 24-70 and the 80-400. I like to photograph trains, landscape, winter storms and what ever else might come up. I rarely do portraits unless some one ask's me to. I would certainly do more, if more people would ask.

The 50mm 1.2 I've had since my film days. Though it has never seen much use, even back then because I'm not overly happy with it's performance at wide apertures. I have always been into the detail that photographic images can contain. So sharpness is always a concern to me. Plus I like to shoot during the "Golden Hours" when I can, so lens speed is a factor as well. Plus thats why I picked up a D3s

So what I'm looking for here is, does anyone think I'll see much use with the 85mm 1.4G? I've read numerous reviews on it and it seems like a stellar performer, even wide open. I'm hoping the lens is also well suited for other uses than just portraits, and that I would find it usefull for many situations.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this soon... as there's only a few days left on the deal from Nikon.
Thanks Jim H.

"Things are'nt always quite as cherry, as they first seem"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Should I get the Nikkor 85mm 1.4 G?

G