Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikkor 35mm/f1.8G Chromatic Aberration

N80 Aircraftnut

East Lansing, US
423 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
N80 Aircraftnut Registered since 13th Jun 2003
Sun 24-Feb-13 04:32 AM | edited Sun 24-Feb-13 04:33 AM by N80 Aircraftnut

Dear All,
I have been considering getting a 35mm/f1.8G as a small patch on my NAS while in graduate school. I have been able to borrow one from a fellow student to try.

After trying it out, the wide open performance seems rather poor:
- There is considerable chromatic aberration (purple fringe). The CA is gone by f/2.5
- The image is very soft or out of focus. This gets better with a smaller aperture

Here are two images (D200, 1/60 sec, ISO100, shot in NEF, off tripod with remote release, only downsized in PS): one at f/1.8, the second at f/3.5.

I have tried two different D200 bodies with the same result for the 35mm. I have also tried other lenses (28-105/3.5-4.5D and 18-105/3.5-5.6G) at 35mm on these bodies with better results.

The owner of the lens raves about the lenses sharpness. Is this common behavior for this lens?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Greetings from the Mitten State,

Markus

… for landscape photography the
aphorism should be expanded:"f8 and
be there in good light." -John Shaw

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

G