Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Replacing the 28-108 with the 24-120 VR--just NAS?

Jim Mohundro

Seattle, US
450 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jim Mohundro Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2008
Fri 22-Feb-13 09:05 PM

The recent and temporary Nikkor price drop has made me a little itchy.
I’ve got a little two or so year old Panasonic GF1 that I’ve been a little hesitant to put on Craig’s List (I really don’t like the hassle and potential exposure). I ‘m starting to think I might trade the GF1, its 14-42mm kit zoom and a dandy Artisans&Artist half-case in on, probably, the 24-120 f/4 VR. I’ve still got a Panny GX1 and a 20mm f/1.7 and the 14-45mm zoom for my 4/3 kit.

Thom Hogan’s brief discussion of the recent Nikon rebates seems to be favorable in his comments on the 28mm f/1.8G, the 85mm f/1.8G and the 24-120 zoom. I have the nice, compact 35mm f/2D, so the 28mm, while a much newer optic, doesn’t seem to get me a significant improvement, and the 85mm f/1.8, which fills the gap between the 35 and my 105mm f/2.5 AIS (I have no 50 and I’ve lined up a sale for my 60mm f/2.8 Micro AFs which is a gem of a sharp lens simply because I very seldom use it), while promising quality for its price is something of a one-note (i.e., portraiture) lens for a full-frame body, my D700.

I have the 28-105 zoom and it’s a pretty compact and light all-round mid-range zoom and generally very pleasing for its purpose. I usually back “down” from the 28mm into somewhere in the 30mm range and from the 105 maximum zoom closer to the 80 and 90mm range on the basis that whatever sharpness is there is optimized in the middle range. When I was using my D80 and D200, my basic all-round lens was the 16-85 which I more often used in the range between 20mm and 70mm for the same reasons; i.e., less is often more.

So, the question: aside from any weight issues with the 24-120, will that lens offer a measurably enhanced performance over the 28-105mm and broaden my working range or is all this NAS?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G