Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

AF body motor torque

MikeyBiker

Valparaiso, US
40 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MikeyBiker Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Jan 2010
Wed 20-Feb-13 12:23 PM

The old mechanical screw linkage for autofocus seems to vary widely in power and speed among Nikon bodies. I'm using a D7k now and anticipating a D800 in the not too distant future.
This steampunk tinkerer has no shame.
Has anyone ever done an adaptor that indexes to the body and extends the screw drive to an external shaft? Why?
I want to make a flex connection to the focus knob at the back of my Celestron C8. The body adaptor to the telescope prime focus tube would need to be 'chipped' to lie to the body, fooling it into doing the autofocus hunting as directed by the phase detector indicator system. It works fine since the little indicators flash with both the C8 and my 500mm F8 Nikkor.
I shoot birds, etc. My right hand jumps from the azmouth knob, the focus knob, and the shutter release button. My left hand does the elevation knob. I'm never fast enough, usually because the focus chasing disturbs my aiming. Yes, I'm getting old.

Are there any shadetree mechanics out there?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G