Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Checking My 50mm f/1.8 AF

NorthBay

Janesville, US
74 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NorthBay Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013
Tue 12-Feb-13 10:57 PM

I bought a used Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF lens (vintage 1990) and I’m noticing some interesting effects. When I got it, I took a bunch of shots in my normal f/5 to f/9 range, and got tack sharp results. I recently tried shooting at f1.8, and the results are very different. I shot both (cropped) photos below with the lens on my D7000, mounted on a tripod, ASA100, aperture priority, single-point focused at the base of the rose bush. I did a half push on the shutter release, then fully depressed with the self-timer selected to eliminate vibrations. The first image (f/1.8, 1/2500 sec) seems to have a haze around the solid objects, almost like one of the old soft focus “beauty” filters. The second (f/5.0, 1/400 sec) eliminates that effect. Both are sharper when viewed full size. Is this normal for shooting wide open? It seems I’ve seen images on this site from similar lenses that didn’t show this. I don’t see this on my other lenses, and I gave the 50mm glass a thorough cleaning and it looks pristine. Any thoughts? Thanks! - TJ

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G