Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

70-200mm 2.8 VRII with TC-14e vs 70-300mm VR

Ray B

Worthing, UK
210 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ray B Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Thu 07-Feb-13 08:15 AM

Hi Guys,

I've been searching Nikonians and the wider web for an answer to this, but I'm not finding one

I currently own both the 70-200mm 2.8 VRII and the 70-300mm VR, the latter I use for lighter walkabout duties generally (D600/D7000)

Very occasionally I shoot an airshow and would like to do more of them this coming year.

In the past I've shot with the 70-300mm on DX. I've got some good keepers but a lot of misses too

I don't currently own a teleconverter and I've got to pondering if anyone has done any side by side comparisons of image quality, focus acquisition etc of the 2.8 with teleconverter vs the 70-300mm ??

I think the 70-300mm is a good performer but my experience with it tends to confer with the reviews that find it softer past about 220mm.

Would I see a marked improvement at the long end with the teleconverter/2.8 combo?

I attach one of my better past efforts with the 70-300mm @ 210mm on DX

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Regards, Ray

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G