Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New "E-type" Nikkor lenses - Electromagnetic Diaphragm

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Tue 29-Jan-13 03:45 PM | edited Tue 29-Jan-13 03:56 PM by ZoneV

Not to be confused with "series-E" Nikon lenses of the past, Nikon's formal announcement of the new 800/5.6 AF Nikkor lens heralds the acceptance of the E-type brand of Nikkors, previously used only in the 3 PC-E lenses.

A few of us saw this coming. (In fact, I predicted this move in a 2009 thread 3.5 years ago after the PC-E lenses came out.):
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=146&topic_id=165692&prev_page=show_topic&gid=165692#165692

It was only a matter of time before Nikon decided to move to electronic diaphragm coupling in its highest end professional lenses. The 800/5.6 marks the move of this feature into non-PC lenses. I would expect more new professional Nikkor lenses to be designated "E" in the coming years, instead of "G", as it improves the power aperture feature when shooting video, and also live view.

During the AF era, we've gone from AF to D to G, with AF-S or VR in some lenses, and now we have the new type E. The E-type interface might mean incompatibility with certain older camera bodies (depending on whether the lens includes a manual stopdown control or not).

It is not clear if the F6 is compatible with this aperture stopdown method. If not, this marks the break in compatability of film cameras with the newest lenses. That said, I wouldn't hold my breath; it's unlikely that many lenses will be "E" type in the near future; most likely only the highest end professional lenses for a while.

Nikon user since 2000

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New "E-type" Nikkor lenses - Electromagnetic Diaphr...

G