Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Cuyahoga Valley National Park Shoot

RLDubbya

US
553 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011
Wed 26-Dec-12 12:58 PM

I'm going to start a project this winter that picks some of my favorite spots in the park, and does a photographic essay. I'm dreaming big on this one, and want to include a variety of wide angle landscape shots as well as (hopefully) shots of flora and fauna of the region over the coming year.

Locations include a couple small waterfalls, other portions of the stream, the river, and some swamp. At least a couple of the locations I have in mind will be heavily shaded in spring and summer, and light will be at a premium. There's a couple locations which will be very panoramic and bright.

This is not a planned trip thing; I actually live in the park, and will be hiking to quite a few of the locations I have in mind. So I don't have to necessarily get everything right the first time, God willing, I'll have ample opportunity to shoot the same location repeatedly.

I'm beating myself up over WA lens selection. I've nearly purchased the 14-24/2.8 at least a dozen times over the past week. It's sitting in my cart waiting for me to click "Place order."

But then I think the 16-35/f4 VR would be more suited, that I could get more from the VR in the deep (dark) woods, than I can from the extra stop.

Then I think that since I'm shooting DX (D7000), I should consider even wider. Just to save you looking at my profile, I have a Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX and a Nikon 70-200/2.8 VRII, and a TC20-EIII. From experience, I know that in the deep woods, I need all the help with light I can get.

I'm not adverse to purchasing multiple lenses for this project.

Thoughts?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Cuyahoga Valley National Park Shoot