Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Clearly unsharp 85mm 1.8D

vancwa

Vancouver, WA, US
254 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
vancwa Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2007
Sun 23-Dec-12 08:41 PM

I gave a friend of mine an 85 1.8D as a gift portrait lens. It was new then, but it's been a couple years now. After recently buying a new body, he's discovered through careful and exhaustive testing with this and other lenses and different bodies that the lens is not sharp at 1.8, or even 2.8. It starts getting crisp at f 4.0 which makes it pretty useless as a portrait lens. Details like hair and skin are clearly soft despite how the lens is focused (MF or AF). We are both certain that this isn't a matter of operator error. Could there be some "copy variation" that would account for this? What could be wrong with it? I realize of course I could just send it to a repair center and spend additional money to "maybe" have it fixed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Clearly unsharp 85mm 1.8D
                         Reply message Update: added some test images