Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Right decision? 80-200 used

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Sun 25-Nov-12 06:45 AM | edited Sun 25-Nov-12 06:52 AM by ZoneV

I pulled the trigger and ordered a used 80-200 2-ring. I've had the non-D version of the lens for over 4 years. Lately I've been shooting more sports, and I get frustrated at the focusing of the old version, usually ending up with 70% OOF pictures (nothing wrong with the lens; it's just a limitation of the old design...it's slow and tends to hunt and lose focus rather than lock on). 4 years ago, I wasn't doing as much sports photography, and I tried one of these before I bought one. I figured I'd eventually get something newer.

Now, I decided to buy a used two-ring D version from KEH at a ~$300 savings over a new lens. The tradeoff is that I get a 6-month KEH warranty rather than a total of 5 years of Nikon extended warranty. Since I'm on a tight budget, and the lens is known to be a reliable one, I figured it was worth saving the money, and I could always put that $300 (which I honestly don't have at this time anyway) toward a newer body.

The only other thing is there's a small chance of someone screwing up, and me getting a gray market version. But I think the cost savings was probably worth it in this case. If it was a 70-200 VR II, I'd be hesitant to buy used because it's a more complex lens and there isn't much savings over buying new.

I'll get the most benefit out of the upgrade NOW, so waiting 9 months to be able to buy new would have been hard.

Logical? Or do you think the 5 years of Nikon warranty was actually worth the extra $300? I have mixed feelings on this, having had a lot of gear that has never needed repair, but also a good amount that has. Ideally, I'd have bought a new 80-200, but my brain and wallet told me not to, and that I couldn't.

Nikon user since 2000

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Right decision? 80-200 used