Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need input on Ultra-Wide DX Zoom

torwood

Jefferson Hills, US
761 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010
Sun 18-Nov-12 02:25 PM

I find myself in the need for an ultra-wide DX zoom for use on my D7000.

Some background: Before digital cameras, I used an ultra-wide zoom (18-35 AFD) quite extensively for travel and landscape photography. It was probably my favorite lens, producing the majority of my keeper images when I traveled. When I switched over to digital in 2005, full-frame was in it's infancy, and was way out of my price range. Around that same time, I began shooting my kids sports, and pretty much stopped traveling. All of my DSLRs are DX format, which fit my needs fine for the present.

For years, I have been tempted to buy a DX ultra-wide to replace my 18-35 on DX digital. Several things have held me back: cost ($900), amount of projected use, and incompatibility with FX if I ever upgrade. If I would ever go to FX (D600), I am almost certain that it would be my primary landscape/scenic camera, and the DX cameras would still be used for field sports.

Now, I have a somewhat urgent need for a wide angle to shoot several projects that my firm has completed recently. I am an architect. There are enough projects to justify the purchase of the lens. Before anyone recommends a T&S lens,...I am not going for that level of precision. These images will be reproduced at a small scale, and while distortion is important to me, I know I can make a regular ultra-wide work. I will most likely always be shooting this lens stopped down (f8), and for my interior uses, mostly on a tripod.

Now, short story long,...my questions: I can buy the 10-24 3.5-4.5DX or the 12-24 f4DX. The 10-24 is $900 new, and I have seen some used versions for $650-700. The 12-24 is available used for between $500-600. The 10-24 is newer, and slightly wider. The 12-24 is a more professionally made lens, and is probably as wide as I need.

1. Has anyone done a comparison of the two? How they compare in distortion is the biggest issue to me, but a sharpness comparo would be of interest as well.

2. Why did Nikon make the 10-24DX? All of the reviews I have read of the 12-24 are amazingly good. The lens was expensive, but at $900, the 10-24 was nearly as expensive, so it's not a price bargain like the 18-35mm was on FX/film. Is anyone aware of anything that Nikon addressed or "fixed" with the newer lens? Was it just a marketing thing to get to 10mm like Canon and Sigma?

I am very tempted to pick up a used 12-24DX. If there is a reason I should reconsider the 10-24DX, and spend the additional money, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need input on Ultra-Wide DX Zoom