Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Woe Is Me; I Need To Find The Right Lens

karma1248

Los Alamos, US
80 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
karma1248 Registered since 10th Sep 2012
Mon 05-Nov-12 02:07 PM | edited Mon 05-Nov-12 03:41 PM by karma1248

HI All,
This is a question for all of you 85 1.4 lens users.

As I stated in another post, when I switched to DX cameras the 85 1.4 became less useful to me due to the type of photography I favor. This was because the effective focal length increased from 85 to roughly 125. I still loved all of the features that originally drew me to the lens in the first place on my F3. Bokeh, sharpness, and general quality remained first rate. But the focal length became a problem.

I should explain that I don't typically use the lens for portraiture. I'm a street photographer. I use fast reflexes and a quick eye to capture fleeting images. I spend a lot of time shooting street events such as art shows, arts and crafts fairs, and general street photography. I have found that there is a range of distances where this lens is most effective. On DX cameras the distance is too long. But, I still love the backgrounds the lens gives due to the fact that very often the backgrounds are cluttered and busy. The 85's bokeh is very helpful for sorting out the subject from the clutter. And, not to be forgotten, is the 85's relatively "small size" which makes it handy.

So, I've been seeking another lens to use. I've had people suggest my 70-200 2.8 VR. Well, I like the lens (it has beautiful bokeh) and certainly it provides the right focal length, thus shooting distance, but its size and weight, plus its intimidating appearance, turn me away from it. My search continues.

One possibility is a 50 1.4. I have not owned a lens in this focal length and speed for many, many years and never a Nikkor. But on a DX body, the effective focal length would be about 75mm. This is not too far from the 85 (real FL, not DX) I have been using. I might also consider a 50 1.2 but I don't think any of these are AF. The NOCT (58 mm) would be nice but no AF, the price is high and the availability is rare.

Finally, my question. Would I be happy with this lens (the 50 1.4)? Would it at its DX focal length provide a good substitute of the 85 (real FL)? How is the bokeh? Is it even close to the bokeh of the 85 1.4. For me, this is a critical issue. It certainly would be a handy size. Or perhaps, you have other suggestions. I'd love to hear them.

What say you?

Thanks, Sparky

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Woe Is Me; I Need To Find The Right Lens