Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best 50mm lens for reversing with telephoto?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
alphavax

MX
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
alphavax Registered since 27th Sep 2012
Mon 29-Oct-12 08:55 PM

Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade my D90 with a D600 and enter into the "FX world".

My main interest is Macro and Portrait photography, and want to buy also a 50mm glass but got stuck with the options offered by Nikon.

I wonder if it makes a difference choosing between D or G version of any of the 1.4 or 1.8 50mm lens when using the lens reversed and coupled with a telephoto lens for macro photography.

I know G lenses doesn't have aperture ring so wonder if for my purpose the D version are better.

I read at kenrockwell.com that the 50mm f1.4G was faster in AF but had worst distortion than 1.4D. Does it makes sense to spend more in the 1.4 version instead of 1.8? there are 300 dlls difference between the 50mm f/1.8D vs the 50mm f/1.4G.

I don't mind in the AF speed but more in the sharpness and distortion and also in the speed when mounted directly in the camera.

Also I don't know if the D version having a aperture ring the aperture can be controlled from the camera itself like my G lenses or do I need to manually adjust the aperture in the lens.

Thanks in advance

G