Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Low light / wide angle full frame lenses

wh2005

Rancho Murieta, US
30 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
wh2005 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2008
Thu 04-Oct-12 03:00 AM

I want to start doing more low-light photography, including night-time sky photos. I currently own a Nikon 14-24 f2.8 and I'm considering supplimenting this with a prime to get better low light performance with my D800. While I will use this lens in other low light situations, the night time photos is my first target use. Note, I will be using a tripod for this use, so that may influence my options.

There seems to be a huge number of options, looking at both new and used lenses. What I think I'd like is a prime in the 24 to 28mm, f1.4-f2 range. This type of lens seems to be fairly exotic (aka expensive), so I'm also open other more affordable options.

I'd be interested to hear comments on whether I'd notice a big improvement between a fast prime over the 14-24 f2.8, or is the speed difference of a f1.4 worth the additional cost over an f1.8? I know that these are very subjective questions, but I'm interested in your experiences. Are there other options should I be considering?

In looking at some options with available new lens, has anybody got any experience is comparing the Nikon 24 f1.4 with a Carl Zeiss 25mm f2? I naively assume that the Zeiss lens may have better IQ, which may offset the speed advantage of the Nikon, but are either of these assumptions really true?

I realize that this is in the Nikon autofocus forum, but I'm open to non-Nikon and manual focus options.

Thanks for reading
Bill

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Low light / wide angle full frame lenses