Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

85 f1.4G vs D for focus speed

PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US
1761 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PSAGuy Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008
Fri 28-Sep-12 02:14 PM

As a sports shooter, most of my work is covering hockey and hoops, and is with the 70-200 f2.8 . But occasionally I hit that dungeon of a gym for basketball that is DARKER than dark. I am interested in buying an 85 1.4 but don't know if the D or G is a better fit. I know the D is said to focus slowly, but how "slow" is "slow" ? What may be "slower than the G" on a bench test, may be just fine for a kid driving to the hoop with me on the baseline. I have shot sports for over 15 years, so I am generally one step ahead and can anticipate the action fairly well.
Does anyone here shoot basketball with this lens ? Have your results been OK ? I always shoot with a D3 (and will probably upgrade soon to D4) .

Thanks

G