Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Please rank these lenses based on IQ

swilson317

US
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
swilson317 Registered since 21st Jul 2008
Wed 26-Sep-12 02:00 AM

When I went to Moffett Field (Mountain View, CA), last Friday, to shoot photos of the Shuttle Endeavor flyover atop the 747, I was stuggling with which lens to use. Since we kept being told that the flyover would be over the runway, and I was standing right next to the runway, I opted to use my Nikkor 18-200mm to ensure that I could go wide if necessary. But I knew that light would be an issue, as the runway was between me and the sun. Fortunately, they flew to the West of the airfield with the sun at my back! At 200mmm (approx. 300 with crop factor), the reach was just right. I really didn't have time to change lenses anyway, but I started to wonder which lens would have been the best choice from an IQ standpoint, hence my question.

My three options were:

Nikkor 18-200 VR (bought with my D300)
Sigma 70-200 (non-OS) (gift)
Nikkor 80-400 (gift)

I'm happy with my results, but curious to help with future decisions.

Thanks, Steve

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G