Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Which lens should I buy?

har1

CRAIGAVON, UK
22 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
har1 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2012
Thu 20-Sep-12 08:04 PM

I have just purchased the new Nikon D600 body only as I intended to use my Nikon 16-85 DX and 70-300 VR lenses, which I currently use on my also recently purchased D7000.
However, after going into the matter a little further, I am now thinking that to use the DX lens in crop form, would be a waste of the D600's resources and was wondering which lens I should purchase?
I'm not too familiar with shutter/apperture settings at this stage, but I've bought 'Mastering the D7000' and also saw that Stan recommended to another member, Bryan Petterson's book, 'Understanding Exposure', so I'm into those at the moment.
I've read a few reports about the kit lens ie the 24-85 and the price would certainly suit my budget, but apparently there's distortion/pincushioning (per Gordon Lang's review on Camera Labs) I'm not sure what these terminologies mean exactly, but they don't sound good.
May I ask for advice as to a decent FX lens - I know that the 24-70 would suit, but I really didn't want to commit to that degree of expenditure at the moment.
Many thanks for your anticipated responses.
Wayne.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which lens should I buy?

G