Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikkor f/2.8 zooms on DX: What am I missing?

DaveSoderlund

Geneva, US
621 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DaveSoderlund Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 29th May 2010
Thu 20-Sep-12 07:22 PM

Greetings!

I have a D90. Though I am considering a DX body upgrade at some point (D7xxx? the mythical D400?), I have no interest in the weight or expense inherent in going to FX.

My go-everywhere 2-lens kit is the 16-85VR plus the 70-300VR. Depending on what I'm doing, I may add some combination of my 35mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 AF-D, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, or Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro. (FYI, my current -- and likely future -- shooting is likely to be mostly landscape/nature, travel and "urban decay" although with a grandchild on the way there may be more candids/portaits in my future...)

I am quite happy with my current kit and haven't given a lot of thought to why I might want faster glass for my two main zooms. However, Nikon's recent release of the D800 and D600 FX bodies suggests that there may be more used copies of the 17-55mm f/2.8 (DX lens) and 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 (reputed to be not as good on FX as it is on DX) on the market from FX upgraders and that the used prices for these lenses may come down a bit due to supply.

I'm aware of the obvious trade-offs between my current two main lenses and the f/2.8 zooms (VR vs non-VR and restricted focal length range for the 17-55, speed vs size and weight for the 70-200). However, I've never had any experience with the f/2.8 zooms so I have no idea what I might be missing. Do any of you DX shooters (there must still be a few of us left!) have any advice or insight help me decide whether I should spend more money on lenses? Do you think either of the f/2.8 zooms is a more compelling upgrade for me than the other?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Dave Soderlund

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikkor f/2.8 zooms on DX: What am I missing?
     Reply message , since the lightRE: Nikkor f/2.8 zooms on DX: What am...

G