Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need some advice on choices

VR8

Ottawa, CA
786 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008
Thu 13-Sep-12 11:27 PM

I seem to be pushing the limits of the 70-200VR11 with TC 20e111 combo.

Here are some before and after photos - both at 400mm EFL on a D300 at f9 the Hawk at 1/800 and the Coyotes at 1/320. Neither photo is very good. The Coyotes, in part because I did not get a chance to adjust my setting before they began coming round the lake and we had to leave fast. They were about a football field and a bit away according to Google earth about 158meters/173 yards. These were shot on a Gitzo 2541 and Markins M10 Ballhead. The processed and unprocessed photos are below:

Click on image to view larger version

Now my question is to improve these kinds of shots which of the following option is the best solution for me to consider:

1. 300mm f4 with TC 17/20 (I own those TCs)
2. 300 f2.8 plus TC 17 and 20
3. My current combo with a different Camera such as the D800 (I have a D7000 and the results are pretty much the same)
4. using LensAlign to calibrate the TCs with the lens at maximum distance.

I realize the issue is the ability of the lens to resolve details at a significant distance. I also understand that climate, especially over water can have an impact. So is it even possible to do better with any of the solutions I have mentioned?

A 400/500/600/800mm solution is sort of out of the budget; and I would prefer a prime over the 200-400.

Thanks

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)

G