Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

105mm MF vs. 105mm AF

pqtrths

Roseville, CA, US
1017 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007
Tue 28-Aug-12 03:06 PM

Attended a car show last Sunday and shot about are 100 close-ups of miniature gasoline and steam engines and models (you have to see these - fantastic). I used an MF 105mm macro on a D200 with an SB-900 mounted on-camera with a reflector set at 45 degrees and the camera on a monopod. (Tripods were not allowed; monopods were.) I relied on the camera's focus indicator because my eyesight isn't what it once was. Best I could do was f4.0 at 1/20th to 1/30th second at ISO 400.

Based on a first-look of the photos, the lighting is great with fill flash or direct flash but the focus and sharpness wasn't due to the shallow depth of field; I could not keep the monopod rock steady; and I could not maintain my focusing point. (The slightest shift left of right, front or back would "lose" the area that I was focusing on.) The D200's point-of-focus kept "hunting" left to right. I went back later and used the 24-70/f2.8 zoom and obtained better photos just without the close-up that the macro lens would have provided.

Would Nikon's 105mm/f2.8 AF macro, compared to the MF 105mm, be a better lenses due to its autofocus capability. Factors also include build quality and durability I bought the MF 105mm for what I thought would be the greater control provided by the manual focus feature combined with the magnification ratios engraved on the lens barrel. I can easiliy trade-in the MF macro with the extension tube and hood for the AF lens.

Your comments are appreciated.

Mp

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 105mm MF vs. 105mm AF