Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Handling new lens and protecting it from the weather

StevenPituch

Corpus Christi, US
118 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
StevenPituch Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Aug 2012
Fri 24-Aug-12 05:07 PM

I just received a 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR after returning a 55-200 VR that was damaged in shipment. I have taken a few shots so far. I have a few shots here: http://tinyurl.com/9nlqxfb and here http://tinyurl.com/8dgbw8h .

Please realize that I have never used a monster lens like this one before, but I think I am going to like it very much. Focus in the pics is not perfect as the depth of field was likely too shallow. I have 3 questions (the camera is a D5100):

1) How do I hold this thing? I have been holding the lens with my left hand, and the camera/shutter with my right. Occasionally I need to remove my left hand from the lens. Will this hurt the mounts?

2) If I put the camera on a tripod, the lens may not be supported. Is this OK, or do they make a sort of bridge piece to put under the lens to support it?

3) Can I turn off the camera with the VR "ON", as long as the shutter is not pressed down half way to activate the VR? Or do I need to turn off VR, and then turn off the camera. The manual is a little fuzzy on this.

4) It is very humid down here, and the air is very corrosive as the water around me is hyper-saline. If I just take the camera outside the front element gets covered in condensation and I have to wait 10 minutes for it to clear. Should I keep the camera and lenses in my camera bag and leave it outside until the equipment temperature equalizes with the outside air? Or should I buy some sort of wrap to keep the air out of the camera and lenses? Also is there a protective wrap of some sort that I can use on the beach? I'm afraid of sand intrusion.
Thanks All
Steve

G