Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

55-200 VR (noise and image movement)

StevenPituch

Corpus Christi, US
116 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
StevenPituch Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Aug 2012
Fri 17-Aug-12 11:37 PM | edited Sat 18-Aug-12 01:18 AM by StevenPituch

Hi All,
My question is a little different than the other previous threads. I have been using a D5100 and 18-55 VR for a few months. I am very happy with this combo. It has taken me a while to get used to the difference in operating compared to my old F2a (20 years ago). I have barely noticed the VR noise and image movement with this lens. Today I received a 55-200 VR. UPS crushed the package. The lens box was creased in toward the barrel of the lens. The lens appears to be unscathed and it appears to be satisfactory optically, but I am concerned with the VR noise. When I turn on the camera whether or not VR is ON, I get four sequential noises like a "tat-tat-tat-tat". The images moves noticeably in the viewfinder four times. For the most part after the turning on of the camera, VR operation is quiet, but once in a while I get the four tats again with the four shifts of the image in the viewfinder. I am wondering if the VR is noticeably noisier with this lens and whether the four shifts and tats is normal. The UPS person said to try the lens out and if it appeared to be damaged to call UPS. What bothers me is that I purchased the lens from a reputable vendor and the lens box was placed right up against the side of the shipping box with no padding on that side. I am sure UPS will say that it was improperly packaged for shipping.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 55-200 VR (noise and image movement)

G