Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

First landscape lens for D700?

stray_note

UK
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
stray_note Registered since 29th Jun 2012
Fri 13-Jul-12 10:57 AM

Hi everyone,

I plan to upgrade from an old and rusty D50 (DX) to a used D700 (FX) in near future, and would really appreciate your advice/input. Worth noting that I don’t have any lenses to ‘carry over’ so will start from scratch, have had no prior experience with primes, and mainly shoot/looking to shoot landscapes, architecture (inc. interiors), landscape close-ups and abstracts; occasional portrait/street scene but absolutely no sports, weddings, glamour, and next to no wildlife. I would prefer to get fewer real quality lenses to a lot of cheap ones that I’m not likely to use, but at the same time I’m not looking for a ‘do-it-all’ lens because they never do.

My question is, which lens to get first? Obviously, I can’t afford to buy several good ones at once, so plan to build up gradually. Long-term plan would be definitely a 16-35mm or similar (use filters a lot), a 70-200mm and something in between (not sure what yet). Original idea was to save up for the fantastic 24-70mm, but now I’m not so sure it’s the right choice for me considering what I shoot, and just how expensive and heavy the lens is.

I’m thinking I should probably get 16-35mm, and something like 50mm OR 85mm prime instead of the 24-70mm. However, opinions seem to be pretty polarised about how useful these primes are for landscapes. Before I get the 70-200mm, I don’t want to limit myself to having the extreme w/a 16-35mm and nothing else, which is why I’m thinking primes. Do any of you consistently use them for not-so-wide landscape/closeup? If not, do you swear by 24-70mm for landscape? Do you use a completely different set-up to cover the same shooting scene range (bearing FX in mind)?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: First landscape lens for D700?

G