Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 - New FX Lens Setup Recommendation

marekfilip1

Germantown Hills, US
21 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
marekfilip1 Registered since 17th Feb 2012
Fri 17-Feb-12 06:34 AM

I have made a pre-order on D800 after reading all the reviews. I have been a D300s user for three years (my first DSLR) and picked up photography as a great new hobby. It amazes me how much I have learnt over the last three years and it amazes me even more that there is so much more I do not understand. I have only touched the tip of the iceberg!

My photography is mainly travel (landscapes, people, architecture, flowers) and pictures of my family every day life (both at home and outside). Unfortunately that means I need a lens setup that is quite versatile.

D800 is my "big switch" to the FX world. Unfortunately, all my current lenses are DX (Tokina 11-16mm DX, Nikon DX 18-200mm and Nikon DX 35mm 1.8 fixed), so I will need to build my lens portfolio from scratch. I have been reading Nikonian and other forums and came to the following options:

1. Nikon 16-35mm F4, Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 and 50mm F1.8

This should give me almost full range except for the gap in the middle but I think I can take most of my picture with 35mm from the wide angle lens or 70mm from the telephoto lens and use a crop feature if it is not perfect. The 50mm would be for my low light photography at home or a light walk around lens.

Note: alternative to 16-35 could be 14-24mm F2.8 Nikon or Tokina, but I found from my Tokina 11-16mm experience that I would prefer little bigger range so I could use this wide lens for more pictures without switching to the next lens (or use it as a walk around lens). Also not sure how the older nikon 16-35 F2.8 stacks up against the new 16-35 F4.

2. Nikon 16-35mm F4, Nikon 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 and 50mm F1.8

This set up would be similar to my current setup that works well for me. However, the reason to move to FX is to take my photography to the next level and not sure if this set up will make a substantial improvement above my D300s setup.

3. Nikon 16-35 F4, Nikon 28-120mm F4 and 50mm F1.8

This could also work but I would lose the high end. Many times when I travel I use the 200mm on D300s to capture close up pictures of local people without disturbing their routine.. Not sure if I could get the same result by "croping" the picture in Photoshop afterwards. Also some pages (ie Ken Rockwell) suggest to use 28-300 rather than 28-120...

4. Nikon 16-35 F4, Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 and 50mm F1.8

Better quality, but same concern as with option 3. I would also like to keep to 3 lenses for the time being (I would probably carry max of 2 at any time).

Obviously, weight is a consideration as we often hike to different places and have 2 year old baby with us most of the time. My current setup works fine, but little afraid of too much off additional weight (my wife already complains I carry too much camera equipment and too little kids equipment). On top of the camera and lenses I now carry a beatiful Gitzo traveller series 2 tripod for the HDR and landscape photography.

Anyways, just wondering what your recommendation would be if you could start your lens setup from scratch with the latest Nikon/Tokina offering...

Thank you !

Filip

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 - New FX Lens Setup Recommendation