Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

AFS 300mm F/4D EDIF/AFS 80-200mm F/2.8D EDIF

f5fstop

Private, UM
2947 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic Member
Sun 24-Jun-01 07:04 PM

Got a chance to try out two of my new lenses Saturday at an Air Show in Tullahoma TN. I will say I was rather impressed with the AF speed. For those who say there is no difference, I would have to say they are wrong. (On Friday, I did a few non-scientific tests with the new AFS 300mm versus the old non-AFS 300mm, as well as a test between the 80-200mm non-AFS and AFS, and from what I could clock, the AFS lenses are about one-second faster.)
I had the 300mm attached to a new Nikon 2X TC 20E II teleconverter, and I used both NHGII and Fuji press 800 for all the photos.
The lenses both operated flawlessly, a person could not ask anymore of a lens. AF was extremely fast and there is nothing like the Thunderbirds to test an AF system. Biggest problem I could see, especially when shooting at planes flying at the speeds these dudes were, was the angle of view at 600mm was extremely narrow. If you lost a plane traveling at the speeds these planes were, it was hard as heck to reacquire the plane without looking up from the viewfinder. With the 80-200, it was easier to reacquire a plane just by simply pulling back to 80mm.
I had the 300mm with the 2x mounted to my F100; while the 80-200mm was mounted to my F5.
The Nikon TC was extremely sharp, even compared to the Kenko Pro 300, which I considered to be sharp. You can use this TC and still AF with the AF-S lenses.

Now my personal impressions of the two types of film. The NHG appears to have a finer grain, and the color is definitely better than the Fuji press 800. The yellow in the Golden Knights parafoils are more true to life with the NHG versus the Press 800.
The red circles on the zero that they had flying around is definitely redder on the NHG, as well as the gray on the wings of most of the planes. They had to F104 flying around that were painted blue; the NHG made the blue appear darker, while the Press make it look a little lighter, neither film did the blue correctly. I will say that being this is the first time I used Fuji Press, it is a good film, and I would use it again; however, it would only be because I could not obtain NHG.

There were noticeable differences in exposures between the two systems I had set-up. I had both cameras in matrix metering, aperture priority, with film advance set at CH (7.4 fps with fresh alkalines) on the F5, and C (4.5 fps) on the F100 (and yes, it takes only a few seconds to blow through a 36 frame roll of Fuji film). I also had both set for dynamic AF, but most shots were panned due to the small signature of the planes in the viewfinder and their excessive speeds (which I love }> )The F100 tended to underexpose; however, I attribute more of this on the lens/TC combination, then on the camera itself.

Maybe tomorrow I will write something on the 28-70 AF-S F/2.8D that I just purchased. I have not had a chance to use it; however, tomorrow I am planning to try to capture on film a car painted with Chameleon Green/Blue paint. This paint changes from dark blue to green by the different angles of light as it reflects off the paint.

Doug

--Take only photographs, leave nothing but footprints--
And watch out for snakes...

"Take only photographs, leave only footprints"

Click on image to view larger version

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: AFS 300mm F/4D EDIF/AFS 80-200mm F/2.8D EDIF