Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Large glas captures more light?

thommyboy

Gothenburg, SE
315 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
thommyboy Registered since 14th May 2008
Tue 17-May-11 11:30 AM

Hi

I have a lively discussion with a collegue of mine whether a lens with a larger front glas diameter would allow more light into the camera and later later to the sensor. Meaning that the aperture don't have to be wide open in the larger lens to get the same amount of light into the camera.
I state that the size of the front glas has nothing to do with this, it's all up to the aperture opening.
But in order to fill wide open aperture on long tele lenses require large front diameters to be able to fill it with light?
Please explain this to us or show this explained by showing a simple example.

Example:
Compare a fisheye that captures at a very wide angle at f 2.8 with
a normal lens with a smaller glas surface at f 2.8 shooting a white wall.
Will the wide angle capture more light and the picture will be brighter compared to the other lens?
If not - where does the extra incoming light(if any) in the fisheye go?

Hope this was explained so everybody knows what I mean

Thanks in advance!!

Regards
Thommy Andersen

Best regards
Thommy Andersen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Large glas captures more light?
Reply message RE: Large glass captures more light? Yes!
                                   Reply message RE: I do not want to prolong the saga - but
                                             Reply message RE: I do not want to prolong the saga - but..OK... lol
Reply message More on aperture diaphragms

G