Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help with FX short zoom choice

Shy Talk

Port Glasgow, UK
652 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Shy Talk Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2010
Wed 09-Feb-11 01:13 PM

Hi Folks
I'm very new to Nikon, having just abandoned Oly but so far I'm getting on great! I've got a D300s and the AF is just a revalation. The whole ensemble is working as it should and I'm so glad I swopped!
I just bought the new Sigma 50-500 OS and it does so well on the D300s that its getting left on there.
I've also got the 16-85VR and 70-300VR.
Thing is, I've only got the one body at the moment and I will need to get a second 'just in case'. I'm going to go with FX so plainly it's going to be a D700. The only speciality stuff that I like to shoot is aircraft. I'll use the D300/ Sigma for movers and the new camera for statics and general photography ie kids, pets family occassions and so on.
I need wider than 24mm as it's hard to get far enough back from aircraft, especially at airshows. 16/17mm would be best, 18 ok, and 21mm the longest likely to be ok. The long end don't matter as much but 70mm or more would help, 120 be better and I see there's an 18-200 which might be good.
Initially, I thought the 16-35VR. The 18-200 sounds good but maybe too big. The fabled 24-70 isn't really wide enough, neither is the 24-120 (18-120 would be great!).
I'm not blessed with unlimited funds, but I could run to any of the above. On the other hand, maybe there's better options.....

Any thoughts Nikonians?

my webpage is at http://www.scottishops.co.uk

my Nikonians gallery is here. https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/330319

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help with FX short zoom choice

G