Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lens dilemma for my D40

Tiggi

UK
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Tiggi Registered since 30th Dec 2010
Thu 30-Dec-10 10:38 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum (and new to the world of Photography).

In a nutshell, I purchased a used D40 a few months back and the lens packed in after a couple of weeks. I suspected something was wrong from the start, but didn't really know any better.

I now have no lens at all but wasn't expecting to have to buy one so soon, so not much in the way of budget right now. I'd rather have A lens than no lens, but I am now struggling between 2 options.

I am strongly leaning towards the 18-105 with VR as a one lens option.

Alternatively I could pay up now and just get antother 18-55,probably with VR as there's not a big price difference with or without. I could then add the 55-200 later in the year. I did miss the zoom on occasion when I was able to use it as I have been using a superzoom camera for a few years.

My question is, aside from the obvious necessity to change lenses as the situation requires, is there any disadvantage to getting the two (18-55 and 55-200) as opposed to having one with a slightly longer focal range (18-105)? They all get good reviews and I know this is subjective. I have just been reading and reading and reading ...... for the last 2 months and although narrowed down to the above, my head is now spinning. (P.S. Ideally I would love to get the 18-200, but it is right out of my budget). Many thanks.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Lens dilemma for my D40

G