Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

An AF/MF Nikkor question...

KenF

Aurora, US
167 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KenF Basic Member
Tue 12-Jun-01 01:15 PM

I'm an old MF shooter that's preparing to transition to AF using the F4 as a "bridge" camera. This is a pretty basic question, the answer of which may help other newbies...

I've noticed that most AF lenses do not seem to allow for instant manual focus touch-up. Does manually focussing an AF lens while the body is still in AF mode potentially damage the AF motor in the body? While handling an F4 with a Nikkor 18-35 up at the store yesterday, I gently wiggled the focus collar, and could feel the drag of the AF motor turning. To me, this is a critical issue - even the AF on the F100 I was playing with yesterday needed "tweaking" every now and then. I'm finding I like to use AF as a prefocusing aid instead of for critical focus. The way the AF-S lenses works is perfect for my style.

Do any other AF Nikkors besides the AF-S lenses offer an instant AF to MF change? I know some of the high end primes (85/1.4, 28/1.4) have an A/M ring on the lens barrel, but even that isn't what I'd prefer. I want to be able to just grab the focus ring and turn.

Thanks!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: An AF/MF Nikkor question...

G