Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New F80 but which lense ? 24mm-120mm f/3.5-5.6 ? HELP

jakowal

Ottawa, CA
51 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jakowal Basic Member
Fri 14-Jul-00 12:18 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'm just about to purchase my fist SLR camera. I decide to by a Nikon F80 =). I'm sure about the Camera but I need some advice on my lense.

I've narrowed it down to a few possibilities. Tell me what you think ?

A - The "24-120mm f/3.5 - 5.6" Nikkor lense
B - The "28-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6" Nikkor lense & a wider angle lense in the future

My inexpereince as a photographer limits my ability to pick the best lense.Here are the pros and cons that I have been able to come up with, tell me if I'm right, or way of the mark...

The 24-120mm seems to have it all, a wide engough angle to give me some of the cool effects of a wide angle lense (form what I've seen in my "National Geographic field guide to photography book) and some telephoto capability to play with the Depth of view (to blur the back ground). My first thought was this is the lense for me, it is 2 lenses in one.

The thing that concerns me is that I've read that a lense that spans a wide focal length has poorer optics. (makes sense since they have to spread the quality profile over the entire focal length ?) But is this really true ? It has the Aspherical elements, does this really help ?

The 28-105mm seems to be what most people are pairing with the F80, again is it because it is a better quality ? I'm I fooling myself by thinking a 24-120 lense can do it all ?

Please if you ahve any experiences you'd like to share, or suggestion you'd like to make Im all ears...I'll read them all.

EXTRA info...About the Author...
I'm just getting into photography, because I want to feed my artistic side of the brain, and painting is a little boring these days. I figure a camera has the artistic ability of a paint prush and combines my love of the outdoors and adventurous spirit. I want to get artistic with the camera, but which lense will give me that ability ?

I can't afford a f/2.8 lense, although I would like to, because I used my dads old Praktica manual SLR with 50mm/2.8 lense, and those are some of the best family picture we have to date. The point and shoot kind just don't do the same...

I'm a student close to graduation, and I have about 2000 CDN to spend.

Great Site by the way, I feel like I'm joining a family =)

Any response would be very welcome....Sorry if I missed used some terms,..like I say I'm new, but I've been reading as much as I can...

Thanks for your time.....

Jacek =)

Life is a marathon, not a sprint, so stop and take a picture

Subject
ID
Reply message What lens
Reply message RE: New F80 but which lense ? 24mm-120mm f/3.5-5.6 ? H...

G