Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Advice: What's Best Budget wide-angle zoom/macro?

Bcbflies

9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bcbflies Basic Member
Wed 07-Feb-01 08:45 PM

I'm a poor, struggling college student and want an AF Nikkor wide angle Zoom with macro capability. I currently use an FG, but will be moving to an N70 in 6 months or so. Thus, I'd like to go ahead and get an AF lens. Here's what I'm seeing:

35-70 3.3-4.5 - I see it for around $75 or less and Moose Petersen says it's a good lens....I just don't know about macro ability on it. (Is it much different than the "N" version?)

28-85 3.5-4.5 - I see this one for around $170. Sure, I'd like to have the wider angle lens, but if the 35-70 is good in macro mode, then I'd rather take the 100 bucks to put towards a 70-300 4-5.6D lens. Petersen isn't as keen on this one it seems.

Is there any other lens in this price/focal range that would be a better buy? Thanks for all your help.

Brett@cumberlandtrout.com

G