Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New long lens for D40X

zukester

Southbury, US
103 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
zukester Registered since 17th Jul 2008
Mon 25-Aug-08 01:07 AM

Hi:

Newbie here. I have currently the D40X with the stock 18-55 and an additional 55-200 f4-5.6 Nikkor.

Just came back from Malawi and took over 4,000 pictures in six days on the ground. I have some, unedited, on webshots if anyone wants to take a look. Boat ride in dugout across croc and hippo infested the Shire River, 15 mile bike ride on the back of a pedaled bike, each direction, in soft sand. But photographically? With all of that bright sun? In the military, they would call this, in camera terms, "target rich". There was a shot at every turn.

Learned a lot of technical issues on the D40X while I was there for sure (crowds of subjects moving/blocking/pressing in, bumpy roads, dust, lost shots due to AF not fast enough, etc.), Full Auto (sometimes necessary I thought due to time) automatically resets to focusing on "closest subject" verses "single spot". I learned that the "P" setting was better (after I came back) and, while there, eventually learned to go to full manual while riding on the rocky roads, with a high shutter speed (1000+) to eliminate motion blurs.

What I was looking for was a longer zoom, perhaps to encompass both of those two above named lenses, but not necessarily so. Just maybe 55-300, 100-400, or thereabouts.

Longer.

1. Does not have to be Nikon made, but it is all I own now and I used to sell Nikons 30 years ago and they were always known for the very best of glass, bar none. I learned how they were made extensively.
2. Good steel construction on the mount-and rugged.
3. Up to 300MM or 400MM
4. Must have VR
5. Glass should be high quality under all lighting conditions (ED I guess it is called?)
6. Not necessarily fast, but that is fine. Maybe the AF should be faster than the 55-200 I have.

Most important features? VR, compatible with the D40X, such as metering and AF.

I am willing to save up and spend, but I want it to last for a while under use and the VR is the big one. I shoot all sorts of stuff, but mainly a long lens I need is for getting things far away such as wildlife, people, etc. without having to get in so close, especially when I CAN NOT.

Any suggestions?

Thanks In Advance,
Zukester

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New long lens for D40X