Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Prime lenses vs. Zooms

tall1more

10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
tall1more Basic Member
Fri 26-Jan-01 02:43 AM

Before having my Nikon gear I had a minolta system. Had a 100 F2 lens, Tamron 28-200 and a 50mm. Found out an odd thing when comparing the primes with the zoom. If you set the lenses at the same apeture, even f11 or greater, more light gets in on the prime lenses. This doesn't have anything to do with the speed of the lens but I think it had everything to do with the distance the light has to travel to get to the film plane. The difference my be small but more light was getting in on the primes compared to the zoom. Just one of those weird things that I noticed back when I had prime lenses in my kit. Still want to get a hold of a 100mm range prime. It's a great focal length to have that is easy to handhold and carry around. And most importantly usually sharp as a tack! Just another factoid supporting the great pluses to having a prime lens in the bag!

Odd but true!!

G