Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Zoom or Prime for the wide to mid range?

ricdiggle

Huddersfield, UK
862 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ricdiggle Basic Member
Wed 21-May-08 12:21 PM

I must update my profile.

A couple of weeks ago, I sold both my zoom lenses. The 70-200 and 14-24 are now gone and I'm left with the following primes:

50 f1.8
85 f1.4
105 VR
200 f2

If and when a new 70-200 appears, I'll be first in line and whilst I decide on whether a 200-400 will be long enough or if I should just get a 600mm, I'd like to sort out the wide end of my setup.

Whilst I thought the 14-24mm was an exceptional performer on the D3, I sold it on as I found I simply never used it. My feeble mind simply couldn't get over how wide it was and it sat on my shelf unused.

Looking at my options, I could get the 20mm, the 28mm and 35mm primes or I could get the 24-70 AF-s. The 'slow' speed of the zoom wouldn't be an issue at all and I'd certainly make use of the long end more when using it as a walkaround lens. (My 70-200 served as walkaround lens so weight isn't an issue either)

I'm just wondering if there is a really compelling arguement to go with the primes rather than the new super zoom. By all accounts the 24-70 is rather special in terms of sharpness and colour but would the primes be even better?

Many thanks for any light shed,

Richard

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G