Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Should I buy a used 180 F/2.8 ?

beverett

US
477 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
beverett Basic Member
Sun 21-Jan-01 03:37 PM

Help!
Stop me before I buy again!!

I am looking at a mint condition 180 f/2.8 Price around $475-90 US.
I used to own an earlier MF version of this lens in another life when I owned an F4 and loved the sharpness and weight of this lens.
Now I am looking to get another one only this time an ED glass, AF version found at a local store.
It will duplicate the zoom range of a couple of my lenses, but all the zooms I have are slow. In fact, the only " fast" primes I have are the 60 mm f 2.8 micro and the 24mm f 2.8.

I do a lot of nature work and do not have a 300mm F/2.8 ( sigh) or even a long macro. I use the 28-105 zoom in macro mode now when I shoot flowers, etc. and want a little room to work. I have just recently bought the Nikon T6 Close Up lens to use with my zooms, but thought that would also work well with the 180 if it is 62mm thread( I am not sure, but will look that up).
Remembering when I had one of these before, it was a gem.

Two other reasons to get it:
It makes a good match with a 2x teleconverter and...
I want it!

Am I in serious need of a good sitdown with my doctor...?

G