Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My view of Silent Wave

chriscalabro

12 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
chriscalabro Basic Member
Thu 18-Jan-01 02:20 AM

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-01 AT 04:23 AM (GMT)

Just wanted to convey a couple of thoughts relative to AFS speed. I have owned a 17-35 for a while. In this focal range silent wave is almost irrelavent. It is a beautiful lens which in my opinion has no match both in sharpness or in focal range. The old 20-35 is nice but the extra angle and what it can do on the D1 make this the best and silent wave in my opinion. I received my 28-70 AFS today so it is to soon to comment on picture quality. Initial impressions are the build quality is great, silent wave is quiet and fast and it fits nicely on a F5. It is very comparable to th Tokina 280ATX Pro II as far as quality feel and balance. Silent wave is a nice and useful addition and may actually prove useful 5% of the time in this focal range. I also have the 80-200 AFS. Picture quality is the same or essentially the same as the previous tripod version(outstanding). The removable tripod mount is slick and the lens despite its reputation is nicely balanced. Perhaps the biggest surprise is that Silent Wave , all though very nice, is not really silent is very quick and is honestly not really much faster in standard focusing as opposed to the prior version. It does work unbelievably well in dynamic focus mode on a f5. That for me is less than 5% of the time. So in summary for those debating silent wave I would say this. It is slick, well built, sexy, expensive (holds its value) and really only truly useful in the longe focal ranges and then only in dynamic focus mode. I would still buy it but if your moving up from the prior 80-200 or the 20-35 you will not see much difference in your results other than those shot in DF mode. Just my thoughts...

G