Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

18-200 Lens Creep - SIMPLE FIX

dgh3

Syracuse, US
470 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dgh3 Registered since 29th Jan 2007
Wed 16-Jan-08 01:00 PM

I heard about this idea from another post, though I don't remember where I heard it first. However, I've seen some threads with continued agony about this issue. I mentioned this fix as an aside in another thread and it got some positive comments, so I think maybe some people might like to hear about it.

I fixed the lens creep on my 18-200 with a rubber O-ring that probably cost about 25 cents. I used one 2.5 inches inside diameter. I then used a sander (dremel tool) to work on the inside of the ring to flatten it so as to have more contact area with the lens (probably not really necessary).

I place the ring on the lens so that it overlaps the zoom joint as needed to provide tension. That is, this ring puts enough tension on the zoom joint, if laid fully along the joint, to make the lens hard to zoom. So, as can be seen in the pic below, I lay it across the joint in the back (tension), but pull it away from the joint on top (no tension). By adjusting the overlap I can set the tension wherever I want it. It seems to stay put, doesn't seem to be easily knocked off in use, and doesn't seem to be wearing the barrel finish - but with time that's hard to say for certain.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Dave Harris
Life is short, death is long, there is no perfection in life, only in death; perfect stillness. Enjoy life!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 18-200 Lens Creep - SIMPLE FIX