Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

18-200 NIkkor not up to reviews

zzini148

buffalo, US
30 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zzini148 Registered since 06th Nov 2005
Sat 06-Oct-07 02:34 PM

i just purchased a nikon 18-200. as a everday lens but also as a lens when i need the overall focal lengths, with vr i figure i could also handhold indoor shot with flash to have the background be more natural, i also was contacted by a college cheerleading squad to do pictures and figured this would be a perfect foacl length for that also. my other lenses are 80-200 af-s f2.8. the 18-70, 105 micro and a 1.7x teleconvertor, i am no beginner and do mostly fine art nature and also local sports like football, soccer, college rugby, volleyball etc. my problem is this lens doesnt seem to live up to the reviews, including one here on nikonians by vfnewman and thom hogans, the zoom creeps when held straight down, and the auto focus, while i didnt think it would be as fast as my other lenses listed, is just plain slow, the review by vfnewman here on this site says it could track soccer etc, i dont see anyway this can track, it actually hunts at times even in good light outdoors and slides easliy into focus, doesnt snap at all. i guess after reading reviews by thom hogan and vfnewman i expected a lot more, is this typical? other feelings or comments welcome

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 18-200 NIkkor not up to reviews
Reply message RE: Can you be more specific?