Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

my little Nikon lens test (4 lenses)

bender73

US
145 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bender73 Registered since 11th Feb 2007
Fri 03-Aug-07 02:48 AM

THIS IS A VERY SIMPLE TEST AT f/8. but, i hear so many people on this forum and on other photo forums talk about the major differences in lenses and image quality. too soft. too little contrast. bad colors. etc.

it annoys me at times. so, i did a little test.

the funny thing is, the 24-120 VR is probably the best of the bunch with the 70-300 VR coming in 2nd place...and this is only after staring at the printed photos as well as the big screen in front of me. even so, the differences are so small that i challenge anyone to really point out something that is so different from the others.

sure, maybe if i blew the prints up to poster size then we would see what lens takes first place, but 99% of our shots probably never make it to anything more than 8x10.

D200
4 lenses
Tripod
ISO 200
f/8
1/2.5
Auto WB
All at 70mm-ish (except the prime)

Nikon 24-120 VR
Nikon 24-85
Nikon 70-300 VR
Nikon 50mm f/1.8

Thoughts? oh, here is the link...
http://chrisbilodeau.smugmug.com/gallery/3249857#179867078

My Website...
http://chrisbilodeau.smugmug.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: my little Nikon lens test (4 lenses)

G