Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Upgrade advice please

jwb

US
509 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jwb Basic Member
Tue 02-Jan-01 03:06 PM

I am an avid amateur beginning a multi-year process of upgrading all my gear (timeline dependant on cash flow). It's all 12-15 years old. I currently have the following:

FG w/ MDE
Nikkor 50/1.8
Tamron 28/2.5
Tamron 70-210/3.8-4

From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's better to put good lenses on a lesser body than the other way around, so I'm starting with the lenses. It doesn't seem to make much sense to buy new/used MF lenses at this point, though, if a new AF body is in my future. (I have no problem using the FG - can't knock the reliability - but I think I will inevitably upgrade to a newer body as FG parts are getting more rare.) My question is this; is there any inherent problems with putting new AF lenses on an FG or other old bodies? Or is that simply a crazy thing to do? I shoot mostly family/travel/nature.

I'm sure there's others out there in my situation, so any advice would be of great interest.

Thanks,
Jeff

G