Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
va3rrr

Northern, CA
101 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
va3rrr Basic Member
Sat 23-Dec-00 12:21 PM

I understand that field curvature makes your picture edges and corners appear out of focus and thus somewhat soft. This is understanable because our lens glass is curved not flat. I'm wondering how this is corrected on better more expensive lenses than cheaper ones? Do ED and Aspheric elements come in to play or are they just for chromatic aberration? I understand that smaller apateures help reduce this so are bigger barrel lenses better? Where do you find it most constant? I find that for me close up shots for example at a building @28mm causes field curvature. I understand also that some lenses do this purposely such as soft focus for portrait work. All lenses have some field curvature just wondering how and why some are less appearent?

Merry X-mas all and happy new year!

Randy

G